Philippine Online Event for Global Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Week 2021
The Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication, Break the Fake Movement, Digital Rights Coalition, Foundation for Media Alternatives, Out of the Box Media Literacy Initiative, and Yabong Philippines are organizing a panel discussion as part of Global Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Week 2021, following the global celebration’s theme, “Media and Information Literacy for the Public Good.”
“Botante na ako! Now what?” brings together young Filipino voters for an online discussion via Zoom on how to practice informed voting in the May 2022 elections. This is part of the organizers’ efforts to contribute to the mainstreaming of media and information literacy in the Philippines.
Following are the objectives of the online event:
- Generate discussions on how to gather and verify information that will help voters make informed decisions in the 2022 elections;
- Raise awareness about manipulation of media narratives; and
- Identify the issues young Filipino voters care about.
The webinar will discuss the following topics:
- how to use media and information literacy competencies to gather and verify information about candidates and party lists,
- how to navigate the manipulation of media narratives by politicians and other actors;
- issues young Filipino voters care about; and
- the importance of reviewing platforms versus personalities.
The participants will include young Filipino voters. They will be invited through the youth organizations, schools, and Sangguniang Kabataan officials in the organizers’ network.
It is on 30 October 2021 (Saturday), from 4:00-6:00 pm.